Monday 13 October 2014

Kolkata - II

So, this took longer than I had expected and I have no excuse but laziness for it.

Here I’m listing rest of the places I visited during my stay that I wanted to write about. There were experiences in everyday moments in Kolkata. But maybe I’ll write about that another time when it’s quieter outside and inside.

College Street:
My travel days were involuntarily chosen to be Sundays as other days were mostly working (the primary reason for being in Kolkata). It was a Sunday when I was exploring this place too, this meant getting to see only the locked windows /doors (not really sure what to call it) of the shops on both sides of the street. I could only imagine the delight of a reader walking through this mile of a road occupied by book shops on both sides with piles of books waiting to be explored.
The street is India’s largest book store and has the grand reputation of possessing every book ever sold in Kolkata. My friend went on to say ‘If you don’t find a book in College Street then you have either not looked enough or it does not exist’

College Street on a Sunday

Indian Coffee House:
This is just round the corner from College Street and was on my mind from the time I began planning to travel around in Kolkata. Who would want to miss visiting a place that has housed conversations that generated ideas world knows of. In the midst of numerous conversations happening around us that involved people from different age groups I was humbled by the place, its simplicity and the zest to protect the culture. The prices are very nominal and the waiters sport the royal uniform they've been wearing since ages that includes their royal turban.
My only complaint was like most other places this too had minimal options to choose from for a vegetarian. I eventually had a cup of coffee and a sandwich which cost me less than Rs. 50.

Indian Coffee House, College Street
Prinsep Ghat:
This is one of the most beautiful places I went to in Kolkata. There’s Rabindra sangeet playing on speakers on a moderate volume, beautified garden lane and then there is this enchanting Hooghly River. There are conventional boat rides available. I couldn’t take it for it was raining that day and boats were back in harbour. Just sitting by the river, doing nothing, may be chatting away the evening with friends and family is how I imagine a day well spent.

Prinsep Ghat with my friend Sayan in the top left (owner of all the amazing pictures in this and the last post)
Kumartuli:          
This is a sort of place that I seek, that I wish to travel to, and spend some quality time at. The whole area is full of artists who are into clay molding which is especially of Goddess Durga. There’s also a ghat close by where we spent some time gazing at nothing.

Art in the air

The beautiful ghat near Kumartuli

Belur Math:
In the times of ‘Indo-Pak’ never ending conflicts, questions on caste based reservation, religion based riots in varying degrees it’s a refreshing change to visit a place that respects everyone equally regardless of where they come from. Belur math welcomes people of all castes and all religions and this is what makes it so special. Situated on the banks of River Hooghly this place is a ‘spiritual’ delight. There are no grand idols, no aarti, and no pundit forcing you into a puja. I could stay there all day long and that’s what I almost did.
There’s a small outlet there selling products like purse, towel, napkin, jam, pickle etc. made by tribal women at very reasonable prices.
Another attraction inside Belur Math was Ramakrishna museum. It contains many artefacts used by Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna, and Sarada Devi and much more.

“You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.” – Swami Vivekananda
Dakshineshwar temple, where it all belong
The boat ride from Dakshineshwar temple to Belur Math
One of the many loves of Kolkata- Football
Kali temple:
The place where I began my travels it also happened to be Bengali new year that day so I was prepared to fight my way into the temple. It was pretty close from my place and my plans with someone had got cancelled. So, this made an apt choice of place to visit.
Kalighat pundits have a notorious image for tricking and forcing visitors to pay money for the ‘darshan’. Luckily had done some reading before visiting so I was extra cautious.
The place was very crowded, No sooner did I get 'darshan' than I got automatically pushed outside.



Not a huge fan of mall but I loved savoring on all snacks served outside this place.
Landmark to where I was staying - South city mall all decked up on Bengali new year

Keep Travelling,
Manisha

1 comment:

  1. For some reason this is the third time I am posting the same comment but it is just not getting published. So here is it again - Beautifully expressed :) it was so much in sync. Very natural! The pics and the prose were made for each other. Keep Writing. I love reading you :)

    ReplyDelete